Monday, November 15, 2010

Passion

Last spring I had the chance to take a music history class with Dr. Griesheimer.  The course was called Music History: Antiquity to 1750 (quite a span).  Coming into the class I had very little interest in music history, especially such ancient history, I just enjoyed music (and needed to take it in order to get a music minor).  After the first day of class however I was enthralled, solely because of the incredible passion that Dr. Griesheimer has for the material.  There were numerous instances when he would be overcome with emotion after listening to an excerpt from a beautiful piece of music.  It's hard not to get excited about a discipline when the teacher is so enthralled and invested in the material and passing on that excitement to others.  I have no doubt that the information from this course could be very bland if not taught by such a passionate individual.  This professor also teaches two other music history course which I am not required to take but because of Dr. Griesheimer's compassion I am tempted to enroll, or at least audit.  There is no question  that students can sense the passion and investment that a teacher has for their discipline and are captivated when the teacher shares this knowledge and excitement with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment